Friday, November 7, 2008

Onyx in Fashion Jewelry

I recently came across some fashion jewlery made from sterling silver and onyx. This particular piece of jewlery was a copper pendant, and I was quite impressed with the quality of the copper pendants. So I started to do some research on onyx. Onyx is a naturally-occurring cryptocrystalline form of quartz. A cryptocrystalline rock texture is one where the crystals are so tiny that they cannot generally be seen with the naked eye, and can only be seen under a microscope using thin sheet specimens. Most onyx is banded, and the bands are a result of various secondary minerals. The bands can be of almost any color except blues and purples (I have no idea why!). Black onyx, such as the one used in the copper pendant I referred to, is quite common. However, the banded form of onyx is the most common variety of onyx. Onyx can be shaped as required, and then polished to a high shine, making it a perfect gemstone for fashion jewlery. Onyx is believed to remove negativity and negative energy. Onyx is the birthstone for February, and the 10 anniversary gemstone.
In the particular jewlery piece that I came across, black onyx was used as the focal bead in the pendant. The setting itself was superbly crafted from pure copper. The copper design was quite intricate, and overall the pendant was nearly 3 inches in length. With gold currently selling at around $800 an ounce, and copper priced at about $2 per pound, it’s not hard to understand the popularity of copper for fashion jewelry!



Please visit for some beautiful copper pendants and inexpensive MP3 players

No comments: