Friday, September 19, 2008

Global Warming

I’ve been reading up on this global warming thing in recent weeks. There are environmental lunatics on the Left who see the world coming to and end and want us all to give up our cars, and ride bicycles, and go live in caves so that we don’t cause the planet to warm up any more. And there are Right wing nutbags who bury their heads in the sand and refuse to acknowledge the melting glaciers, disappearing ice on Kilimanjaro, etc etc. Leaving aside the lunatic fringe on both sides, there appears to be a general consensus on both sides that the planet is indeed going through a period of warming, and that the consequences of global warming can be quite severe. The difference of opinion is really in what is causing this global warming – is it manmade, or is it some natural cyclical phenomenon.

I really don’t know the answer. I do believe that the consequences of global warming will be severe, and so if there are things that we can do without throwing our lives completely out of whack, well, that’s worth doing. I don’t intend to go live in a cave somewhere, and reduce my carbon footprint to zero (actually I have no idea what my carbon footprint really is!). But I am making small changes that hopefully help. Here’s what I am doing, and what I plan to do:

I stocked up on CFL bulbs when my local Home Depot had them on sale. Now each time an incandescent bulb burns out, I replace it with a CFL. The CFLs I use put out the same amount of light as a 40W incandescent lamp, yet consume only 9W of power! CFLs also last longer than conventional bulbs.

I live in Arizona, where on average, we have 90 days a year of 100+ degree days. This summer I kept my house at 80 degrees. I have ceiling fans in every room, and I use the ceiling fans to make the room comfortable. My electric bill is down by over 15 percent, even though the electric company raised rates by over 10 percent compared to last year.

I really should get a more efficient AC unit. But I am not sure if I want to put out $6,000 for a new unit right now! So we’ll see how that goes.

I’ve switched both toilets to low flow type models.

I’ve switched the showerheads in both baths to the low-flow type. Cost me less than 10 bucks each!

Part of my house has a flat roof. So I am trying to see if it makes sense (financially) for me to install solar panels. The initial expense is quite high, but with tax rebates, and incentives from the electric company, I may be able to afford it. I’ll let you know!

www.azjewelrystore.com
www.gizmocentral.com

No comments: